Monday 12 August 2013

My Top 10 Fictional Canines!

There have been a number of awesome dog characters through the years and of course, some stay with us forever. I wanted to list my top 10 favorite fictional doggies!


10. Wolf Link
Wolf Link
I like Twilight Princess.  I don’t care what others say, I had fun playing it and while it’s not the best Legend of Zelda it’s still made me play it through a few times. That’s more than some other video games out there. The reason why Wolf Link is so low on the list is because my artistic self cries out when I see his mangled anatomy and “painful-to-look-at” animation. I just wished he moved more fluidly like a canine rather than stomping about like a bison. Still, he is a vital part of the game so he gets his place in this list.




9. Bolt
Bolt
I think most people went to see this movie not expecting much. I was no exception and I was pleasantly surprised! Bolt is an absolutely adorable movie and Bolt as a character was very fun and charming. My only problem is his design. Yes, he’s super cute, but he’s supposed to be an American White German Shepherd dog. Apparently his design went over many makeovers and the design choice is a very conscious one. I don’t mind how Bolt looks, it’s just that he’s more of a corgi than a GSD.




8. John
John
How can I not include a character or two from the very nostalgic show Ginga Nagareboshi Gin. When I was a kid this show was the most awesome thing ever. Dogs! Fighting bears of the size of houses and a big baddie bear of the size of a goddamn castle! Looking at it now it’s just really ridiculous but I still have emotional connections to it and thus I still watch it and enjoy it, regardless of the stupidity. John was one of the main characters and a GSD. He... didn’t do much since the main character was the goddamned doggie Jesus so of course anyone and everything bowed to this thing while he slayed satan- I mean the massive bear.



7. Benizakura
Benizakura
Benizakura is also from Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and his character was something I really appreciated. The show also includes dogs from all over Japan so they can fight this monstrous bear. Benizakura was one of the recruits the main character managed to lure with them. Benizakura was very unique in the way that he really, really appreciated his owner and leaving him basically killed him (later he got mauled by a bear). The scene where Benizakura’s owner screams and begs him to come back is really heartfelt (although why didn’t the silly kid just call animal rescue or something instead of falling over his feet and crying into the sunset.)




6.
Cerberus
Cerberus
I don’t really have much to say here, a three headed monstrous canine that is also the Lord of the Underworld’s’ pet. Awesome. No words. Also, I love mythological creatures, so... moving on!







5. Garurumon
Garurumon
This stripy tiger dog Digimon was the coolest thing ever when I got up to watch the show every Wednesday morning. Digimon itself is a fun show that means a lot to me but Garurumon specifically was the coolest. It’s a huge dog with purple nails, how can I not like it? Fun fact: He transforms into a werewolf and then further onto a mechanical dog with a swiss knife blade as a tail.




4. Arcanine
Arcanine
Arcanine is just simply a beautiful design. My beloved Arcanine from Pokemon White 2 is named Helios and he’s the top of my team.  The fu dog of the pokemon world, Arcanine is a fire-type and highly underrated. He can fight through anything with amazing power and diversity in his attacks. Let us give a hand to Arcanine!




3. Jake
Jake
Adventure time! Come on, grab your friends! This show is an experience I recommend anyone try. My fiancée got me into Adventure Time and I hope she’s not regretting it. I love this show and more specifically, I love Jake. The more I’ve been reading about dogs and how they function, the more I can appreciate that, despite Jake’s very un-doglike stretchy powers, he still has a doggy mind set. He has a short attention span, he is highly food motivated and he’s a little bit egocentric, just like dogs are in nature. I love Jake, he’s an awesomely well crafted character that deserves recognition for being so true to dogs... in a way.



2. Inspector Rex
Rex
When I was little, a local channel used to air this show in German with Finnish subtitles, and man did I love it. Unfortunately my reading skills weren’t the best back then so I couldn’t really understand what was going on. However, it never stopped me from appreciating how awesome this dog was. Rex was a dog I really enjoyed to watch as it boggled my little child mind how much one dog is capable off. It seemed like there was nothing Rex couldn’t do. Rex, despite your foreign language, I love you immensely.


1. Amaterasu
Amaterasu
Technically not a dog, but gods don’t ask permission and Amaterasu is no different. Amaterasu, Ammy for short, is the sun god. She appears in the video game Ôkami (a pun, in japanese Ôkami can mean either wolf or great god.)  Ôkami remains the game I have played the most in my life. I’ve beaten it maybe 7 times and still go back to play it. Why? Because I really love it. The story is silly but to me it brings charm. No game has made me cry and laugh so much as this particular one. I mean, what game can make you cry over a scrap of paper? Ôkami, apparently. Amaterasu is a fun character that acts exactly like I’d imagine a god would if they were running about the earthly plains, peeing and pooping on demons and plain ignoring evil when they are spouting insults in their face.



Artwork by Stumppa, more at deviantART

No comments:

Post a Comment